Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links.
The Tashkent Files was released on 12th April 2019. Written and directed by Vivek Agnihotri, the Tashkent Files is based on the sudden death of India’s second Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shashtri. The movie stars Naseeruddin Shah and Mithun Chakraborty in lead roles.
The movie is set in 1966 when after winning the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965, PM Shastriji goes to USSR-held Uzbekistan’s capital Tashkent and signs a peace treaty, but dies mysteriously in his hotel.
The movie has garnered positive reviews from all over the world for its solid portrayal of eye-opening facts. Twitter is going gaga over it, and many people are praising it as well-researched and factual.
Watched #TashkentFiles. I frankly had two fears. 1. It’d be dry and boring 2. May wander into mire of narrative over truth.
Neither. It is gripping (esp 2nd half) and solidly researched. Sheer power of facts leave you awakened, numb, angry.
Must watch for every Indian youngster.
— Abhijit Majumder (@abhijitmajumder) April 7, 2019
Just saw #TashkentFile @vivekagnihotri salute you for content, production & direction. What a powerful way to present Sach ki kahaani. It had some very compelling emotional moments. Superb actors. Powerful hard hitting script. Loved the thriller style. Everyone has to see this
— Seema Trivedi #MainBhiChowkidar (@seematrivedi6) April 14, 2019
Following are the questions associated with Shastri’s death that this movie tries to answer:
- How did Lal Bahadur Shastri die in Tashkent? Why was his original hotel venue changed? Why his dinner and milk was served by someone other than his own trusted cook that night?
- How and Why Homi Bhabha, an Indian nuclear scientist and who was about to make India a nuclear state, died within few days of Lal Bahadur Shastri’s Death?
- Why did Shastri’s face turn blue after death? Why did the government of India not want a post-mortem? Why Shastri’s family was not allowed to see his dead body for a long time?
- How Indira Gandhi got benefited from Shastri’s death and became a Prime Minister? How Indira Gandhi changed the constitution of India at the time of emergency and added words like ‘Secular’ and ‘Socialist’ in the emblem of the constitution?
- If International agencies were involved in Shastriji’s death, why did they want him dead?
- How Shastri’s cook Ramnath and doctor Chug both died before appearing in front of the parliamentary committee.
The movie is dedicated to honest journalism and is a must watch for every Indian.